06 September 2011

No. 8 -- 9 July 1931

Mr. N.A. Hughes (of  Melbourne, Australia)
C/o Central Y.M.C.A.
2200 Prospect Avenue,
CLEVELAND. Ohio. U.S.A.

My dear Noel,

Your two letters from Sydney and Auckland reached us safely, also the wire which you forwarded just prior to sailing. Naturally we were glad to hear that you had had such a thoroughly happy time in Sydney and that the Herberts and the Willis's gave you so much of their time.

I am very delighted to know that you were met at the station and that right through, the folk in Sydney were cordially helpful. It is also cheering to know that the "Y" folk looked after you so well.

We quite expected that you would have a rough trip across to New Zealand. There happened to be a very heavy Nor'easterly blow which we knew you could not escape. However, we were pleased to learn that you successfully negotiated the trip without seasickness.

I am sorry to hear that Alec. Moodie had such a bad time, but he quite expected the sea would upset him. In a letter I got from him he said he hoped you were a good sailor as you would then be able to look after him!

You evidently did not have many on the ship with only 26 in third class.

I hope you had a good time at Auckland, Suva, Honolulu, and at the other places you called at. Naturally, we are awaiting eagerly the news of your experiences at each of these places. I am afraid the account of your eating on ship board indicates that the Union Company are not likely to make anything out of one passenger at any rate -- Perhaps between Moodie and yourself, it is about equalised.

I was very glad to hear that you were able to get some solid study in on the way over to New Zealand, and hope that you have been able to continue that with some degree of regularity.

Under separate cover I am sending to you a copy of a letter from Edith. I think you will be able to follow it all right. Joyce will be writing to you shortly and of course so will the others, as soon as we get your new address.

You will be surprised to learn that Ruth has already received her call to the Homeopathic Hospital. She leaves business today, and commences at the hospital on Wednesday next, the 15th inst. She will spend the few days completing the making of her outfit and getting everything in readiness to move out.

By the way you did not say whether you had received the watch I posted to the "Niagara". I registered it so as to be sure of its reaching you.

Miss Pollock has given me the names of a couple of her relatives who are in California. I am enclosing the names so that if you ever get the chance of making contact with them, I hope you will do so. At any rate, I think it would be a good thing for you to drop her a line C/o Ballarat College, Ballarat, thanking her for her thoughtfulness. It is possible that Miss Pollock will be making her way towards America next year.

I had a short bout of illness and was away from the office for a week and a half. The old trouble of last year asserted itself and I felt the wisest thing was to go to bed, and the Doctor confirmed the wisdom of having done so, otherwise I might have had another bout of pneumonia. I came back to work on Monday and am steadily gathering strength. I lost a good deal of weight again, but that is to be expected.

Keith has not been able to secure anything so far, although he has been following up a few advertisements and making contacts with firms. Mr. and Mrs. Harrison are still with us and this makes the fifth week, I think, they have been staying with us. He has not been able to land anything yet, but has one or two prospects which he hopes will t urn out alright.

We have not been able to sell the amplifier. Jack Walsh had one enquiry, but the fellow sheered off and did not come down to brass tacks. I know how important it is that we should dispose of this machine as quickly as possible, and you can be sure I will do my best to see that it is sold, and the proceeds forwarded to you.

Rex finished up at the Radio Corporation last Friday, and procured another job at the Eclipse Radio, where he was testing speakers. He has just called in to say that he was paid off this morning, so that he is again out of a job.

I have had several letters from some of my American friends, advising me of the desire to help you secure a job immediately after the conferences. John Cook has I think already written to you C/o the Association at Vancouver, outlining the steps he took to endeavour to help you. I hope something may have eventuated from his overtures. I should judge that there will not be a great deal of hope among the Eastern Associations, but something may have eventuated from his letters.

I also had a letter from Laurie G. Bowen, Boys' Work Director, Lincoln-Belmont Department, (Y.M.C.A., 3333 North Marshfield Ave., Chicago, in which he states -- "it may be that we can use him here  for a short period in August, and then send him out to camp with some of our boys for a period or two. College does not open until about the 3rd week in September so that we will have to hustle around and see if something can be secured for him through September. The employment situation in Chicago for the past year has been terrifically bad, and a good number of men had to leave College because of retrenchment plans made necessary by the abnormal depression. We have one graduate in our building who is only too glad to get a job as night Secretary at the paltry sum of 100 dollars a month. His duties consist of a period on the desk, followed by a period on janitor work, and supervision of the boiler room". Laurie ways that he will write you at Vancouver.

Mr. Ralph W. Cooke, the Assistant Secretary of the Young Men's Christian Association of Chicago, in a letter dated June 5th, said -- "We will be very glad to serve him in any way possible. On account of our enforced staff reduction, we may find it difficult to place him in the Association, but I will ask Mr. Hatherway and Mr. Pierrel of our General Office to give the matter attention in the hope that we can be of some service. Please say to your son that I shall be most happy to meet him."

Fred J. Smith, of Central Branch, 40 College Street, Toronto, said -- "I assure you I will do everything I can to make his stay in Toronto pleasant, and if there is any possibility of having him work in for a month or so on our desk, it will be done."

Mr. R. L. Ewing, Activities Director, William Sloane House (Y.M.C.A.), 356 West 34th Street, New York, wrote under date of June 4th. "I am immediately taking up the matter with the Personnel Secretary, New York City, and have written to Mr. Glen. O. Pierrel, the Activities Secretary at Chicago. I will also send a letter to the General Secretary at Cleveland, Mr. A.G. Knebel."

I have sent you these quotations, so that you might understand the situation, and that overtures are being made on your behalf. If I might express an opinion, I hope it might be possible for you to get a job in the Chicago Associations as that will not necessitate additional expenditure in travelling.

Then again, if you could get a job in Chicago, it would help you to become used to the conditions prior to your College work, which will be of distinct advantage, and it might also be of further assistance to you in securing a permanent job at one or other of the Associations.

Matters here at the Melbourne Association are moving along much the same as before, although there is no change in the financial situation. To the end of June, we have gone back £1720 which is, of course, far worse than any experience we have had hitherto. There are sure to be further reductions in some of the salaries, including my own, but this we cannot avoid in view of the difficult situation the association is facing.

All the folk at home are well, I am thankful to say. Mother is keeping up splendidly, although this morning when I left she was feeling a little out of gear, but I hope that will pass away quickly.

I must close now. You will be finishing the last of the Conferences shortly after you receive this letter. I sincerely hope that the way has been open for you to fit into a temporary job. I know it will mean everything to you to get a good start.

I have not communicated with the College, but I presume you have done so. I you have not, I would suggest that you write them as soon as you know something pretty definite with regard to your movements. There will be a number of matters which, of course, will be necessary for them to attend to in receiving new students, and I think you should keep them fully advised.

I have not heard from Clive Glover, but hope that he also has been on the lookout for a job for you.

You will soon finish up with all the excitement and the big meetings, and will have to face the future as a single individual. I know, my boy, that this will be a time of particular difficulty. If no job turns up, I would suggest that you make your way straight to Chicago and keep in close touch with Clive Glover, who may be able to advise you the best lines of procedure.

Pass on my regards to Alec. Moodie, and of course to any of the men whose names I have given you and you have met during the Conference. I am just aching for additional news, and will be very glad to hear that everything has worked out satisfactorily for the staring of you College work.

You know our love is yours. We are all praying that you might be wisely guided in any difficulties you may meet.

With warm love from the family and from myself,
Dad


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome. I would love to hear what you have to say.