04 February 2014

No. 36 -- 28 May 1932

Mr. N.A. Hughes,
C/o Y.M.C.A. College,
5315 Drexel Avenue,
CHICAGO. Ill. U.S.A.

My dear Noel,

Your letter of April 4th came to hand yesterday. It was good to hear from you so soon. We did not anticipate there would be another mail for a week or two, but the new Matson liner “Mariposa” had made her first call here, and this has brought an additional mail. In future we shall have a direct service between Melbourne and San Francisco which means more frequent mail service.

I am sorry to hear that you have no further light on the question of employment for the summer vacation. It would be rather serious for you to be without a job, especially in view of the tremendous amount of distress already in America. There is some degree of assurance in the offer of the Binnington family, that you should assist at their farm. That of course will assure your keep during the period, but will not provide the money required for your re-entrance to the College.

"I wish it were possible for me to
send you some money but I
frankly do not know whether
that can be done at any rate
for a month or two. I have just received
 my income tax assessment, the
payments of which represent
£30 which must be found within
the next few weeks."
I wish it were possible for me to send you some money but I frankly do not know whether that can be done at any rate for a month or two. I have just received my income tax assessment, the payments of which represent £30 which must be found within the next few weeks. This, coupled with medical and dental expenses for Ruth and Keith, will keep me scratching pretty hard, but I will see what may be possible before you enter College.

I am doing my best to dispose of the amplifier, but whether we will be successful or not we cannot say.


I am glad that you have been successful in getting 6 1/2 majors credit for your year’s work. It will be great when the whole of your highschool requirements are met, so that you will be carrying your full schedule.

I have no further home news to give you beyond that given in the letter sent a few days ago. Matters are much the same at home. Mother’s birthday occurred yesterday, and before we had time to open our eyes in the early morning, Edith bounced in with two bunches of violets for mother.

Keith is having further difficulties with his teeth,and he must have a very heavy bill awaiting payment.

George writes: "Your search for
an animal for the Fraternity meeting
was an interesting episode."
I wish I knew this story or had
a copy of Noel's letter. This is
where having only one side of
the conversation gets frustrating.
We have not heard from Rex.during the last week or two. I passed you message on to Millie Harries but I have not seen Margaret for some time. Ruth also gave us the letter you sent to her and we were pleased to have the additional information that letter contained. Your search for an animal for the Fraternity meeting was an interesting episode.

This letter will reach you just after College closes and presumably will be forwarded to your new address, wherever that may be.

We all unite in warmest love and hope that something will turn up for you which will be adequate to meet your needs.

With warm love,
Yours affectionately,
Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome. I would love to hear what you have to say.